Friday, November 9, 2012

Dr. Shelton

Today I had my long awaited appointment with Dr. Shelton. In a way, it was a big relief to have him confirm that it is a benign tumor and that it is an acoustic neuroma. I was somewhat disappointed that I don't have a lot more information than what I already knew. He seemed genuinely surprised that I knew so much about acoustic neuromas. Really? Do a lot of people get diagnosed with a brain tumor and not research it??? Here is what I did find out. He recommends the Translabyrinthine approach. This involves an incision behind your ear. The mastoid and inner ear structures are removed to expose the tumor. The tumor is then removed. The mastoid defect is closed with fat taken from the abdomen. This approach sacrifices the hearing and balance mechanism in the inner ear. I know what some of you are thinking? At least you are getting a tummy tuck with this. NOPE, I wish. The fat graft from your stomach is nothing like a tummy tuck. I have heard it actually leaves your stomach looking somewhat deformed. Not that my children didn't already do that. This approach gives the surgeon the clearest view of the facial nerve. There is a 50/50 chance that I will have some type of temporary facial nerve damage. As long as the facial nerve is not severed, most people will recover over time and no signs of facial nerve damage will remain. This is my biggest concern. I am hoping and praying that my facial nerve will not be damaged during the surgery especially since saving my hearing is not an option. I actually have all of my hearing back at this point. I am enjoying it while it lasts! There are small risks of meningitis, cerebrial spinal fluid leak, or needing a blood transfusion. The doctor actually recommended I donate a unit of my own blood before the surgery in case they need to do a transfusion. Dr. Shelton is so busy that his surgeries are booked through January. I do not have a definitive date for my surgery (I will on Monday when his office assistant calls). I want to say thank you for all the love and support that my family and I have received at this time. From prayers to meals to texts or calls, I have been overwhelmed. Thank you for all the love and support. We are so grateful to have such wonderful family and friends.

13 comments:

Tyler said...

Man, I'm so hoping this works out well for you, Michelle.

Sanz said...

Michelle, It sounds like you are in terrific hands! I'm so sorry for this trial but so happy that it is benign! I love you!

restlessrisa said...

We love you, and have been thinking about you all day. We are hoping for the best!

<3

Risa

Danny and Tarin said...

Michelle, I can't believe that I was whining about a little thing like Will and his peanut allergy and I didn't even know you were having serious things going on! I am so sorry to hear about this. You are such a great person to care about us when you have all of this going on! I am thinking about you and wish you the best!!

Laura Essig said...

ugh.. Logan and I just got caught up. Oh Michelle, this just breaks my heart, we are thinking about you and your family and we are praying for you. Does this mean that you will lose your hearing completely?
Please keep us updated on your situation.

Unknown said...

Michelle, I truly will have you in my prayers. I must say, how much I admire you and Zacc's strength through all of this. You guys are such stalwarts and find much to celebrate in even such stressful situations. Know that I am thinking of you. ( I wished I knew more about acoustic neuromas, to help answer some questions for you! I have worked at Primary's in their oncology and immunocompromised unit for the past 8 years...and we haven't seen any of those types of neuromas)

Unknown said...

get well soon...i feel something positive ....

Gytfu said...

ПИШУТ ЛЮДИ О GL.
I live in Eaglesham and hardly anyone have ever heard of this village. Though it’s not that godforsaken lol. It was strange for me that any big business could do anything in a little village in Scotland but the fact was that my sister who lives in London came to visit me almost a year ago on Xmas. And it turned out she did not work… and still bought lots of presents for our family... I could not believe my eyes because I thought she would be in narrow circumstances and just came home to be with us. Then Judith, it’s my sister’s name, showed me Goldline. Well, I never even heard of network marketing but found it very logical and promising. Almost a year of working – I visited many friends in different towns and villages – and that just helped me to earn $50,000! I think of opening a couple of shops in London and a hotel in my home village in a year – because this is only beginning. And hardly many companies dole. Goldline – is more than business. It’s a stairway up!
http://mirvsem1.glclub.net

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for you man. I'll pray for you.

Ewa Farna Poland TEAM said...

http://kidrauhliam.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Your article is very useful and have good knowledge, thanks for the post.
DMP

abo-bder said...



شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فني تركيب ستائر بالرياض
فني تركيب ستائر شمال الرياض
فنى تركيب
وايت شفط الصرف الصحى
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فنى
محل تصليح شاشات التلفزيون
شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض

abo-bder said...

.
.
.
faniyin